Academic Shoot Reflection and Critique

1. The major challenge I faced in this assignment was getting students to act like I wasn't there taking pictures, because if they realized they were being photographed, they would sometimes try to change their pose and it would make the picture look more planned than I originally wanted. Another major challenge that I had was achieving simplicity in pictures because of the amount of pencil cases, papers, pens, etc. that were always next to students.

2. I found myself thinking about the rule of lines the most because usually, the desks/chairs form lines in classrooms and also, students are typically looking towards the teacher so I would try to capture their heads all going toward the same subject, forming lines. This was captured in my picture with the desks and heads all going towards the window forming the illusion of lines.

3. If I could do the assignment again, I would probably try to create more dynamic angles. One thing I noticed while looking at my pictures was the pattern of having the same angle and the same flat perspective. I would try to change that int he future for other projects. In addition to that, I think I would strive for more simple pictures in general.

4. I personally liked how I tried to have the rule of lines and balance in the majority in my pictures, which I think looks interesting because of the many students in the pictures all forming different shapes and effects.

5.  I think that the easiest rule to achieve would be the rule of lines because of the many students in the classroom all (usually) having the same focus towards the teacher. Additionally, I think it would be fairly easy to achieve geometric shapes because of all the different learning instruments that are in the classroom.

6. I think the hardest rule for me to achieve is rule of thirds because it's always hard for me to think of in the moment of taking a picture;I feel like with rule of thirds it has to be elaborately planned out in advance which I need to work on. Also, it's difficult for me to achieve simplicity because of the sheer amount of supplies students have scattered around them, which draws viewer's attention in confusing areas.

7. I am still not totally clear on rule of thirds. It's the most confusing to me because of the grid a photographer has to mentally form in their head to get rule of thirds. I think practicing and looking over the rule's criteria will help me understand it better.

Part 2: 

Amie's Photography Blog:

https://ameliesphotojournalismblog.blogspot.com/2017/09/academic-shoot.html?showComment=1506351778519#c8427009195366467619

2 Positive: I really liked the simplicity she had in her pictures, and I also really liked the framing of the student by the bookshelves in the first picture.

1 Critique: I feel like in the second picture, the lighting looked a little bit unnatural, possibly because of the red table underneath the girl. Overall though, her pictures were very strong.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merger Photo Preview

Landscape Preview